Sunday, July 23, 2006

wall climbing snakes, and toasters...

bought a new toaster. we've been married 11 years and never had to buy one 'cause we got 2 as wedding gifts. anyway, the second one just died, so i went to walmart and bought the $7 2 slice model. it's white, the old ones had both been chrome, and i'm not sure it fits in with my 70's harvest gold thing i got going on in my kitchen. but, as they don't make harvest gold toasters, i guess it'll have to do.

re read the harry potter series this past week, i've got all 6 in hardback with those plastic dust jacket covers like the library has on their books. i also have all the princess diaries in hardback. have the whole cat who mystery series in first edition paperbacks. as well as lots of other series too. i guess you could say i have a series problem.

well, on to the snake portion of this blog post. my bestfriend (we've know eachother since we were 7 and 8. we're 34 and 35 in december, 2 days apart) had a little visit with a copper head. i have pasted the e-mail she sent below...

Mom & I had a bit of an adventure yesterday - I started to step out the front door & nearly stepped right on a copperhead snake! It was right in front of the door & I only saw it as it raised up to strike when I started to put my foot down. Boy did I move fast! Scared the living crap out of me! It was a pretty big snake, too - about 4 foot long. Mom went out thought the garage to get the hoe to kill it & when she got out there, she called out that she couldn't see anything. So I opened the door again to look & the damn snake was ON THE WALL!! It was nearly at eye level with me - up to about where the doorbell is. I didn't even know they could climb like that & it was *really* unnerving to see it there! She knocked it down with the hoe & it went after it, but she managed to pin it down. The hoe wasn't sharp enough to cut it, so I got a shovel & she held it pinned while I cut its head off (what a lovely experience that was!) & then the damn thing was still moving all over the place while we scooped up the two pieces & threw it out into the road. All either of us could think was that Jake & Ollie are constantly running in & out & if either one of them had been the one out the door, they would've surely been bitten. It's a miracle Ollie didn't run out as soon as I opened the door - he almost always does. Mom & I are both paranoid as hell now - we're making sure to look before we go out the door!

i'm glad that was her experience and not mine. i have my own fun tarantula story from when i was about 15. my bedroom was in the loft, so the area where i had my bed was kinda at the roof, the foot of the bed touched the ceiling, the head of the bed was out toward the middle of the room. so, anyway, i was just lying on the bed watching tv, and i turned over for some reason... and there it was... all big, black and furry! on the ceiling... like 2 feet from my head! i'm sure people could hear that scream in the next county. i rolled off the bed, screaming, dad rushed in from down stairs and killed it and took the corpse outside. i had nightmares for weeks afterward, and sometimes it creeps back into my dreams.....

well, that's all for this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment